Friday 18 October 2013

walking around the village

I have made the commitment to walk for an hour a day.  It already seems to be helping the flexibility in my damaged legs that affects my hips.  But when I take my camera, the walk seems to just happen, and I am home in no time at all.  I hate it when I am looking at the clock, to see how much longer I HAVE to walk.  

Last week we went to get the last of our possessions from our house in the next village. The vine around the house was already displaying its fall glory. I planted the miniature Christmas tree in the middle for the birth of my grand-daughter, Eden.  She will grow faster than it will.   
A few friends came to lift perennials from the garden beds that the new owner does not want to care for.  He wants to turn it all into xeri-scaping.



Here are some of the things that have distracted me on my walks around our new, wee village.  I like to walk the alleys as you see a different view of homes from the back yards.  A middle- aged man lives here and is seldom home. It is actually the back of the original Opera House.   I think his back yard is a fire hazard.  It is also ugly.
 But this humble home a few doors north keeps its backyard a haven.


And I am not sure that this heritage home's new colours are better than the older ones that you can still see on the lower level around the front porch.  I like the duller lower colours from before better.  But the place is for sale and needed refreshing outside.
The weather has been so wonderful and makes walking an easy thing to go out to do.  I am enjoying the changing of the colours for autumn.  Below is a little Railway Avenue park that has a lot of history on picture plaques scattered about.  At the north end of the Railway Park is a Japanese Garden built by our sister city in Bifuka, Japan.


I just realized I need to go take pictures in that section.  The above picture is at the south end near the old caboose and outdoor music gazebo.
  But I thought you might like to see the geography around here.  
The hills are mostly sage bushes and grasses... good for cattle ranges.  But where the land gets irrigated it can be lush.

8 comments:

  1. LOL at your last photo and comment! I agree with you on the new paint job. That new yellow is a little too yellow, but paint is easy to fix. What a shame that the man who lives in that old house has let the yard go to weeds, and it IS a fire hazard!!

    Glad you had some help clearing out the rest of your things from your old house, and that you had friends who wanted the plants. That's another chapter ended. Kind of sad, probably, but I know you are very happy in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not take that picture and was not at that party. I woke up wondering if it might be copyrighted or offensive to some priggy people, so I replaced it. I am keeping it in my files though as it makes me laugh. It is so out of context around here.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a nice place and a nice thing to do. You DO like walking round the rear of things, don't you. I obviously walk in the wrong places; all I see is fungi. I agree the yellow is a bit bright, but, to be honest, I think the finished result looks OK. We're still having lovely weather too; I sat out in the garden for my morning coffee and then went to the patio at Hemingways for another in the afternoon because it was still so warm. Fine weather makes moving go more happily, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your delicious sense of humour goes 'kazinga' again. I did not take that picture and was not at that party. I woke up wondering if it might be copyrighted or offensive to some priggy people, so I replaced it. I am keeping it in my files though as it makes me laugh. It is so out of context around here. Usually the hills have horses or cows in the pictures.

      Delete
  3. I love taking my camera when I go for a walk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't find a way to send you a personal message, so am writing here. Do feel free to delete it when you've read it (I'd ask you to eat it, but it's a bit tricky with online messages).

    Our friend says he's not doing too badly. But he is having problems with his legs now and uses a walking frame at the moment. He's off to have some more hospital treatment on a leg on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you. I worry and say prayers for him and really miss his blogs. I will now delete this when you say I can. My e-mail is karyn.bryson@gmail.com for future reference.

      Delete
    2. It's OK to delete this now. Thanks.

      Delete