Monday 3 February 2014

February...are you sure?

I realized on Saturday that I needed to pay the rent and fill in a new calendar with important things to remember.  Didn't we just get back from our Christmas trip?  I also decided to paint the bulletin board in
'little red wagon red' on the outside of the laundry room door to follow the flow of colours in the kitchen of the suite.  It was an old beaten-up place that needed refreshing.  

I keep a calendar there to refer to when doing boring things like ironing and folding clothes. This suite has a yellow and red kitchen theme that I would have never chosen for myself but am growing to love it.  The painting of 3 suns by a local artist, was already here and I grew to like it especially on grey winter days.
Rent-A-Daughter didn't like the cheap apple-patterned curtains I found at the dime store, so she ordered me some online that are more tasteful.  They should arrive this week.  The dishwasher should be installed soon too.  I also have a calendar in my bedroom and one in the e-mail on my computer.  And still I forget things.  I wonder sometimes how I could have taught early school for 30 years where I had to follow a precise plan for every 15-30 minute lesson of the day, and I didn't get off track.  Little children need to be constantly on the move so lessons need to be short and with movement.  Now I am older I guess, and not so aware of clock-watching.  

I needed to gather up some things to send for grandson, Nolan's, birthday to mail to him on Monday.  I always send another donation to his Education Fund Savings Plan but like to send a card with some gold chocolate coins and maybe a maze-puzzles book or stickers.
 He loves to get mail addressed to Master Nolan -------.  Included was a little blue book called "Why You Are So Awesome" which had 50 pages I had to write in.  His mom sent it to me as he has been a little down due to two boys who are bullying him with put downs.  The school is on top of it but it still happens, so his mom sent this little book for me to send him to boost his spirits.  It costs more these days to mail those things than to buy them.  Sigh.  I search for the lightest and smallest things to buy but ......  Soon he will be a teenager and cash will work fine.  I tried gift cards but then the mother has to take them shopping, so that isn't always the most unselfish thing to send even if it gets ME off the hook.  

Last Thursday I went up the mountain to the workshop to help with choosing pieces for the last panel of the mosaics for our community church.  
#3 is glued and ready for grouting but I was the only helper there to do the sky for #4.  I think it has too much yellow.  

We will fix it tomorrow when more folk are there to give some input.  Here is where we are so far.  The pieces aren't glued in yet so it will be easy to adjust.  There is an angel or a welcoming figure or a prophet or Moses in the white at the bottom.  We are not sure but there is an amorphous being in the glass pattern that we decided to keep.  Maybe when more worker's heads show up tomorrow we will figure it out.  It is in beautiful, pale opalescent pieces of glass.  It is all a fascinating project.  It has a life of its own that keeps telling us what to do.  Weird, I know.   It is hard to tell, below, as it is all sitting on white paper patterns where the artist drew blow-ups of what her vision was.   Tomorrow should be my last day of working on it and we hope to have it installed for the Bishop's blessing on February 16.

4 comments:

  1. I hope we will see the finished projects...
    It's sad how kids could be mean, this gift will bring a big warm smile to his day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the finished pieces, installed and ready for the Bishop's visit!! What a fun project to be part of!! I like your red and yellow kitchen, and the bulletin board, painted red, adds a nice touch. I also have a big calendar with special dates to remember. It is on the door going into the garage, so we HAVE to look at it, at least as we are heading out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry your grandson is being picked on. So hard on a child. My hubby went through that when he was a pre-teen. I figured all the kids that bullied him then are in jail now! ;)

    I'm sure he'll love the little blue book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I asked if it was really February too, but in my case it was because it is still so mild. Sorry about your grandson, but with the right support (which he seems to have), kids can be very resilient.

    ReplyDelete