Tuesday 15 January 2013

January blahs and rainbow delights


I had a touch of the flu the last few days.  We took the shots in October so are basically protected and when we get woozy, I think it is the shots doing their work, fighting along with our immune systems to lessen the severity of the illness.  I am almost back to normal after 3 days.  Two friends have been suffering terribly with the achy and gut-wrenching flu over the last week.  I am craving fresh air though.  I have been inside too long.  I really want to get outside to walk but my knee is not quite flexible enough yet.  It could be about 2-3 more weeks before it is safe to do that on icy sidewalks.  


I have been working on my prayer shawls.  This is a picture of one I was trying to copy but mine 

turned out a little differently.  I don't really work from a pattern.  I just do what the wool tells me to do.  Sometimes it tells me to do the wrong thing.  


This is how the rainbow prayer shawl traveled along its journey.   While fighting the minor flu in bed it was a great distraction while listening also to the CBC on the radio.

Now I have finished it and am adding the tassels on the ends.   I decided to wrap the outside in four rows of PURPLE double crochet and then add purple fringe at each end of the shawl.   
  
I will "fluff" it in the clothes dryer for a few minutes, and press it before adding a label that says this is a wool/mohair shawl that needs to be washed in cold water.   DO NOT put in a washer or dryer.  Prayers will be said over it before/while  it is presented.  On my computer the edges look dark blue not purple/indigo.  If you get this with the more easily inserted photos from my library, I will be so happy.  Maybe downloading Chrome on Google was a good thing.  If you get this so easily, then Alleluia.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful shawl how one can feel so bad and yet turn out such beauty is beyond me...Open the doors let in fresh air and germs out and pretend your outside sitting on a log by your favorite spot...Stay well now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rainbow prayer shawl is lovely, Karyn. You do excellent work. I find that Firefox works better than Chrome for Blogger. I had some problems with Chrome, so switched over. I can see the purple, so your photos are true here on my computer! Glad you are feeling better, but sorry you are still limited by your knee. Me too. I'm tired of pain when I walk! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ticked that it is taking so long to get off doing hikes again. They really help with WW. They also help with mood uplifting.

      Delete
  3. Nice. Please tell about prayer shawls outside a synagogue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so dear. Yes, synagogue prayer shawls is what I thought of at first too. But over the last 20 years, folk have been making little comforting shawls to be prayed over while being constructed, prayed over while being presented and given mostly to folk in hospice. The home-bound folk have loved the comfort of them too. Just knowing that somebody cared enough to make it for you is an emotional boost. Originally they were just shoulder covering shawls for bedridden folk that were made of very soft fluffy wools. The ones I am making are to be prayed over and given to First Nations elders who become brave enough to get up at the Healing and Reconciliation Meetings in Victoria this year (Saskatoon last Year) to tell their stories of the hurt that colonial ideals did to their families. There were tears as they were presented last year and our local bishop (Anglican lady, metis herself, Bishop Barbara) has asked for more to be made for this year's gathering. When I hurt my leg I had to do something while immobile and TV makes me brain dead.

      Delete
  4. Oh... I really like your version of the rainbow shawl, this is such a nice way to tell the elders how much they are loved and I think they need lots of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely shawl, but what a lovely use too! Hope you are up and about again soon, Karyn.

    ReplyDelete